A little GIF for the fun winter activities...It's a little slow but...Deal with it!
So it has been a while since the last post but it's because I failed to schedule a specific time to work on it. I did have many post topics but never got to writing anything. So stating last week I gave myself 1 hour of social media/coffee break everyday between my early walk and starting work. I should be a little more regular from now on.
So let's get to it...
Noah's image was a one shot deal. I wanted to make things as simple in terms of retouching, as possible but as complex as possible in set-design.
First of all the idea behind this Noah scene was to have him collect animal fetus of each creature this way when the oceans come back down he could clone or re-activate the growing process of each animal. The key elements here are: to make it look like a room/ark, give the feeling of a cave/laboratory and get it all done in a single shot.
The fetus and Bowls.
A friend of mine was assisting me for this shoot so I asked him to bring as many glass pots as he could find. He also brought some food coloring which came in handy for some bowls filled with water. I did the same thing on my side and in the end we probably had close to fifty bowls which was enough to give the illusion of a lab.
A day or two before the shoot I bought isolation mousse. It's the yellow stuff we put around widows when build a house. It was perfect to create the fetus. It comes in a can and has many different enlargement size. Also it is unpredictable but controllable when used, so this meant I could control the average shape but it would have a very bumpy and unpredicted texture. It dries pretty quickly and once that was done I threw flesh color paint and it was done.
I gathered wood pallets at the local woodshop for a week as they only get rid of 1 or 2 pallets a day. The goal here was to quickly convey the idea of the wooden ark floors. I knew there was no need for the walls as the smoke would hide them anyways.
We gathered trolleys and selves from the studio and started building the scene. I had brought laboratory accessories which ended up being a very nice foreground element.
Smoke is always a nice element to add mood but it is the absolute most uncontrollable light diffuser. I knew and expected the smoke to make a large big wall of light if I sent light on it from the back but I never expected it would take so much.
The problem with the smoke machine is that it will shoot smoke with a little velocity and we are not quick enough it dissipates. This caused 2 major issues: #1 the wall of light kept disappearing after 2-3 shots and we had to get back in there and shoot more smoke. This was also a challenge because we had 2 lights for the smoke which means by the time the smoke machine moved from one light to the other we really had only one shot with the wall nice and thick. Issue #2 was that as the smoke dissipates it fell between the subject and the subjects light which means he became more and more foggy as the shots went buy. To solve this we either had to wait or get him to move, which also meant moving the light set-up.
But in the end we managed to get a nice balance between everything for a couple shots.
The edit only took a couple hours and the image was done.